book review: Baby & Other Stories by Paula Bomer

The backstory: After loving Nine Months, Paula Bomer's first novel, I was so enchanted with her writing, I wanted to read her short stories (and y'all know short stories are not typically my thing. Except when they are awesome.)

The basics: This collection of stories is somewhat thematic, but not entirely so. Many of the stories feature parents of young children and/or pregnant women. In some stories these attributes are the focus, but in others they aren't.

My thoughts: One of the reasons I was curious about this collection was because I found Nine Months so bold. When I do enjoy short stories, I like a boldness of story telling: use the medium for its benefits. Bomer did not disappoint. The first story in the collection, The Mother of His Children" is raw and bold, but it's also a beautiful exploration of love and humanity.

As is often the case with collections (of short stories or essays), I enjoyed some more than others. What I loved about the experience of this particular collection, however, was how I thought of them both individually as part of a collection. Bomer's writing and characteristics got under my skin in the best way, and I can't think of any of these stories as orphans. I keep contemplating their strengths and weaknesses, similarities and differences, as part of Bomer's larger work. She's an author I am unequivocally call myself a fan of.

The verdict: Baby and Other Stories is a rich, dynamic collection of short stories. Bomer's writing shines brightly, in both individual stories and when taking a step back to look at this confident, bold collection as a whole.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Length: 176 pages
Publication date: December 15, 2010
Source: interlibrary loan

Convinced? Treat yourself! Buy Baby and Other Stories from Amazon (Kindle edition.)

Want more? Visit Paula Bomer's website.

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. You know I click your name every time it comes up in my Reader, in case there is news. Good luck! - thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Any day now, I hope there will be news:-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson