Sunday Salon: It's Great to Be Home

Have I mentioned how good it is to be home? I love ALA, the city of Chicago, and traveling, but I also really love my house. After one of the worst days of traveling in my life, it was particularly sweet to make it home this week. And a short work week with plenty of time for reading, watching television, films, and relaxing is exactly what I needed after being gone for four nights last week. After working yesterday, I'm also really looking forward to a "second weekend," as I'm off today and tomorrow.

What I'm reading: Now and Next
I'm currently enjoying Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver (review coming Wednesday) in print. I'm glad to be reading it over the weekend because Kingsolver's chapters are long and involved. It's a wonderful novel to spend hours at a time with. I'm also listening to What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty on audio. It's one of my book club's picks for August, and, for once, I'm hoping to be done with both August picks in July. (We meet every other month and read two books.) The book is set in Australia, and I'm particularly enjoying having an Australian narrator. I am somewhat afraid, however, I will start randomly speaking in an Australian accent because I'm listening to it so much. As soon as I finish Flight Behavior, I'm moving on to the July Backlist Book Club pick, Affinity by Sarah Waters. Then I'm looking forward to three new releases: Godiva by Nicole Galland, Ten Things I Learnt About Love by Sarah Butler, and Tampa by Elissa Nutting.


The Backlist Book Club
The votes have been tallied, and the July pick for The Backlist Book Club is Affinity by Sarah Waters. I'll be reviewing it on Monday, July 15. Then on July 31, I'll host a discussion here for those who have read it. I'd love for you to join us!

What I'm watching: tv and film
Grey's Anatomy continues to dominate my television watching. I've in the midst of season seven right now. I've also started watching Big Brother (the guiltiest of my guilty pleasures) and Under the Dome. Now that we're satellite-free, I'll be watching Under the Dome even if I don't like it because I want to do all I can to support this new model: three days after it airs on CBS, it's available to stream through Amazon Prime. Thank you for being so forward thinking, CBS. I'm also really excited for the debut of Orange is the New Black on Netflix this week. I finished the audiobook last week (review coming Tuesday) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I watched only one film this week: Cabin in the Woods. Horror is not a genre I'm ordinarily drawn to, but I thoroughly enjoyed this smart film.

Coming up on the blog this week:

  • a book review of The Queen's Vow by C.W. Gortner
  • an audiobook review of Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman
  • a book review of Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
  • a couple of mini-film reviews
  • an audiobook review of Laura Lamont's Life in Pictures by Emma Straub
  • a book review of Why Have Kids? by Jessica Valenti
Now tell me: what have you been watching, reading and doing this weekend?



As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Enjoy your second weekend! I love travelling but agree there's nothing like coming home afterwards :)
    I really want to read Tampa, so I'll be interested to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just watched the second episode of Under the Dome. It was slightly better than the first episode so I will keep watching for now.

    I am reading NIght Film and I am loving that freakin' book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson