book review: my sister's keeper

I have only read one Jodi Picoult novel, Keeping Faith, which I loved. I've always meant to read more, but my list of books and authors to read passed the ridiculous length months ago. When I assessed the summer movies based on books, this novel moved to the top of my list.

My Sister's Keeper is mostly the story of two sisters: Anna, who was diagnosed with leukemia when she was two, and Kate, who was conceived so her umbilical cord could be transplanted to save Anna. Kate is now thirteen, and she has decided to sue her parents for medical emancipation because every time Anna is sick, Kate must offer pieces of her body up to save her.

It's a harrowing tale told from the point of view of Kate, her mom (via flashbacks dating back to Anna's first diagnosis), her dad, her brother (a juvenile delinquent), her attorney, and her guardian ad litum. While the story is told through multiple voices, I found myself identifying (and enjoying) Kate's parts best. She truly wrestles with her love for her sister and her yearning for independence, as any thirteen-year-old would.

There are no easy answers in this book, and it's a fascinating look at a complex issue both legally, medically and emotionally. For the record, although I don't know what the new ending is, I'm appalled the movie has a different ending. I will try to withhold full judgment until I see it, but I can't imagine any ending as more appropriate than the one Picoult wrote.

Rating: 4 stars (out of 5)

Comments

  1. I'm intrigued by the movie as well. I'm afraid it will be overdone, but I'll go see it anyway. I hadn't heard the ending was changing.

    Although I liked the ending as it was in the book, there were a couple of people in my book club that hated it. I guess we'll have to see the movie together and discuss the changes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson