Sunday Salon: the nomadbaby is on Goodreads

The Sunday Salon.com
I still have a ridiculous backlog of unpublished reviews from my end-of-year reading binge, but eventually, those will stop, and I will have to figure out how to talk about picture books on a semi-regular basis. Because some days, I spend more time reading picture books to Hawthorne than I do reading my own books. As he is only five months old and has no concept of story or message yet, I am relishing having the ability to be The Decider of What We Read. All he really cares about is that the pictures are somewhat colorful and interesting, that he getting to sit on my lap and snuggle, that he gets to hear my voice (I talk a lot, and he was around my voice all the time while I was pregnant, so it still comforts him), and increasingly that he can actually TOUCH the book itself. So mostly I pick up the picture books at the library that look really fun. Sometimes I am very right:


Other times I am very, very wrong:



To help get better at picking picture books, I started a Goodreads account for Hawthorne. The ratings are mine, of course, but I can't count these books in my own Goodreads (it would throw off my reading data, obviously), so this presented a logical means to keep track of what we read together and what I like. I don't track reading a book more than once (because that is not a good use of time.) But if you want to know which picture books to read and which to avoid, go ahead and send Hawthorne a friend request.

Now tell me: what's your favorite picture book?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. How cool!
    Giles at the moment loves any book that has textured parts or flaps to lift up and look under.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea. I have a tough time remembering which books I liked, much less the ones that the kids and I enjoyed together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a good idea! I agree with you - a different account is better. I will have to remember this idea six months later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cute. We love love love Pete the Cat. Probably better for when Hawthorne is older though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs was always a fave with both my kids and fun to read out loud. Some books don't read well out loud. This one does. Plus, there is a movie now.

    Also love The Giving Tree, anything by Eric Carle and the Boynton board books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, and a really useful one. I'm always looking for good recommendations for David!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson