Sunday Salon: June storms and summer reading

Good morning! This weekend is a bit of an unusual one, as I have to work this afternoon. I'm taking Mondays off all summer to enjoy a day off with Mr. Nomadreader, so my weekend this weekend consists of Saturday, Sunday morning, Monday, and Tuesday morning. I'm not complaining--having a four day work week has been wonderful so far this summer, and it gives me more time to read and work on the blog.

What I'm reading today

I'm continuing my (belated) Women's Prize for Fiction 2013 longlist reading. The good news is how much I'm enjoying the titles. Yesterday I devoured the first half of Ignorance by Michele Roberts, and I hope to finish it today. It's been stormy in Iowa, and it was a wonderful day to snuggle down on the porch couch, drink a little coffee and wine, and read all day. I'm also re-committing to reading more short stories. I'm currently making my through Alice Munro's latest collection Dear Life. My aim is to read a story a day, at least in the summer, when life is more mellow. I do like devoting time either first thing in the morning or right before bed for a short story. I'm two stories into the collection and am enjoying it. You all were right: Munro can write. Next up is Curtis Sittenfeld's forthcoming novel Sisterland

Top of my TBR

After a few months of waiting, it's finally my turn for a library ebook of Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, which was shortlisted for this year's Women's Prize for Fiction. I'm really looking forward to starting it once I finish Sisterland. I also have a giant pile (virtually and not) of summer and fall releases. 2013 seems to be an extraordinary year for fiction, both debut authors and old favorites. I'm most excited for Loteria by Mario Alberto Zambrano, Godiva by Nicole Galland, and Sea Creatures by Susanna Daniel. 

What I'm watching on tv
I'm still somewhere in season four of Grey's Anatomy. I've been spending more time reading than watching tv this week. Mr. Nomadreader and I are also finally on the Arrested Development bandwagon and are thoroughly enjoying season one. And I'm still not missing satellite tv at all.

What films I've been watching
I'm still processing my reaction to Before Midnight, which we saw Friday night. I hope to have coherent thoughts to share with you all Tuesday.

The Backlist Book Club
Yesterday I announced the return of The Backlist Book Club. Voting is currently open for July, when the theme is Sarah Waters. You have until noon on June 30 (Central time) to vote. The July pick will be announced July 1.

Coming up on the blog this week
  • a review of The Chicago Way by Michael Harvey
  • a review of Before Midnight
  • a review of Big Brother by Lionel Shriver
  • a review of How Should a Person Be? by Sheila Heti
  • a review of A Testament of Mary by Colm Toibon
Now tell me: what have you been reading, watching and doing this week?

As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you for helping to support my book habits that bring more content to this blog!

Comments

  1. Curious about your Thoughts on Big Brother? I meant to start this one a few weeks ago but it never happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many good things for you (days off!) and great-looking books coming up on your stacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this year's Women's Prize for Fiction was pretty strong. I need to consider reading some of them - not having the urgency of reading them soon to meet the winner date deadline is probably a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson