Wrapping up August 2011

August started off as another excellent reading month. The hot, hot weather kept me inside, and Mr. Nomadreader has been working a lot of nights and weekends, which leaves me with even more time to read. My reading fizzled a bit the last two weeks though, as classes started and I spent more time working to get this semester started off well. This month I read seven books.

The Excellent (rated 4.5 stars or higher):
When I Lived in Modern Times
When I Lived in Modern Times by Linda Grant (4.5 stars)

The Good (rated 4 or 4.25 stars):
The Sisters Brothers: A NovelThe Lantern: A NovelFar to Go: A Novel (P.S.)How to Love an American Man: A True Story
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt (4 stars)
The Lantern by Deborah Lawrenson (4 stars)
Far to Go by Alison Pick (4 stars)
How to Love an American Man by Kristine Gasbarre (4 stars)

The Somewhat Disappointing (rated 3.75 stars or less):
The Irresistible Henry House: A NovelThe Help (Movie Tie-In)
The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald (3.5 stars)
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (3 stars)

I didn't have any five-star reads this month, but I'm still pleased with the quality of what I read in August. I'm looking forward to a four-day Labor Day weekend and hope to get through a few books to start the month off strong! Happy reading!

Comments

  1. You did have a great month Carrie. Sorry u did not love The Help - I did. Did you see the movie? Both me and my husband loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You read some fantastic books this month, and I am eager to read a few of them myself! I hope that this next month is a great reading month for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quality of books you read in August was really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your books read! I haven't read any of those, but there are a few there that interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Disappointing that The Irresistible Henry House wasn't amazing. I picked up a used copy and am still intrigued by the premise. Overall looks like a satisfying reading month, though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson