movie review: Black Swan

Black SwanThe backstory: Black Swan has been nominated for four Golden Globes (and you know I love the Golden Globes!): Best Picture, Drama; Best Actress in a Drama, Natalie Portman; Best Director, Darren Aronofsky; Best Supporting Actress, Mila Kunis)

The basics: Natalie Portman plays Nina, a tightly wound ballet dancer desperate to land the lead in Swan Lake. She's perfect for the white swan, but does she have the fire to also play the black swan? 

My thoughts: I love a story within a story, and this film takes classical ballet and makes it accessible for a rather different demographic. For those unfamiliar with the story of Swan Lake, it's simply described near the beginning. Even though it's clear the movie itself is a version of Swan Lake, it has enough twists and turns to make the two versions complimentary rather than redundant. There are times it's (intentionally) unclear what is real and what Nina thinks is real. Portman delivers her best performances in the scenes from her character's imagination. If she wins the Oscar, and I hope she does, it will be because of the duality of these performances; essentially, she plays two characters, and the beauty and horror of her character lies in these extremes.

For me,  the film got better as it went along. There were frequent odes to David Cronenberg and his love for unusual objects in unique orifices. I got a hint of David Lynch and his delightfully realistic eeriness and uncertainty too. I commend Aronofsky for hinting at others but driving home a unique artistic vision of his own by the film's end. 

As someone usually oblivious to a film's score unless it's dreadful or superb, this score is Oscar-worthy itself. It often utilized key musical interludes from Swan Lake, but it also found  it's own, creepy voice too.

The verdict: I didn't love it as much as The King's Speech, but it is one of the year's best. Natalie Portman was Oscar-worthy and Mila Kunis was outstanding (I hope she gets more dramatic roles in the future.) It's a worthy Oscar contender. My only quibble: no Ethan Stiefel cameo.

Rating: 5 stars (out of 5 stars)
Length: 108 minutes
Release date: It's in these theaters now
Source: I paid to see it 


As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. Nice review! I want to see it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely one that I would like to see - I love ballet, so the fact that this movie combines that, Natalie Portman, and a creepy horror like element into it, just sounds so intriguing. I am sure that I will be a bit scared when I watch it, but I like those types of movies anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't ever heard of this movie, but it sounds fascinating and like something I'd like to check out. Thanks for the very enthusiastic review on this one. It is going in my Netflix queue right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw it this weekend and it was way weird! Good, but weird for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to see this. Darren Aronofsky's films can be so dark and disturbing, in a good way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson