Waiting on Wednesday: The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht

The Tiger's Wife: A NovelWaiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine to highlight an upcoming release we can't wait to read.

My pick this week is The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht. This summer, the New Yorker named Tea Obreht one of their 20 Under 40. This month, the National Book Award Foundation listed The Tiger's Wife as one of their 5 Under 35 picks.

Novelists are already praising her too. Colum McCann, who won the National Book Award in 2009 says, "Tea Obreht is the most thrilling literary discovery in years." Ann Patchett calls her "tremendously talented." T.C. Boyle says The Tiger's Wife is "a novel of surpassing beauty, exquisitely wrought and magical.  Téa Obreht is a towering new talent."

Here's the publisher's description:


The time: the present. The place: a Balkan country ravaged by years of conflict. Natalia, a young doctor, is on a mission of mercy to an orphanage when she receives word of her beloved grandfather’s death far from their home under circumstances shrouded in confusion. Remembering childhood stories her grandfather once told her, Natalia becomes convinced that he spent his last days searching for "the deathless man," a vagabond who claimed to be immortal. As Natalia struggles to understand why her grandfather, a deeply rational man, would go on such a farfetched journey, she stumbles across a clue that leads her to the extraordinary story of the tiger’s wife.

An involving mystery, an emotionally riveting family story, and a wondrous evocation of an unfamiliar world, is a brilliant novel.
The only bad news: The Tiger's Wife won't be published until March 8, 2011. Only 135 days to go...

Pre-order The Tiger's Wife from Amazon
Pre-order The Tiger's Wife from an independent bookstore

Shop Indie Bookstores  
As an affiliate, I receive a small commission when you make a purchase through any of the above links. Thank you!

Comments

  1. Wow! Sounds fantastic. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog, and I think it's great...will definitely be back :)
    This pick sounds really good, and I see that you are reading The Finkler Question...I am on hold for it at the library...hope it is as good as the reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of this one yet, but with those accolades, it is hard to ignore! I am going to have to put this one on my list, but it's too bad I will have to wait until March!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never heard of this book. I hope when you get your book, that you will enjoy it as much as you hope to. Wanna see what I am Waiting On Wednesday for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! What a great pick. Sounds mysterious. It's going on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had this as a WoW a few weeks ago. I think I've been excited for it ever since I read Obrecht's story in the fiction issue of the New Yorker last summer. Let the countdown begin! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read about this book this morning and thought it sounded good too. Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Happy reading!

Popular posts from this blog

Mini-challenge: Where in the World Have You Read Today?

The Backlist Book Club: The Clan of the Cave Bear discussion

book review: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson